Finding the right nanny is like finding that perfect and elusive pair of shoes – you know as soon as you try them on that they’re the ideal fit and then you wear them for as long as possible. Finding the perfect nanny is no different; as soon as you meet them and watch them interact with your kids that maternal or paternal instinct kicks in and you just know that they’re a solid addition to the family and that you need to hang on to them for as long as possible. Here are some tell-tale signs that you should keep your nanny around for as long as possible:
- Your kids are enamored with them – You can’t really argue with your child singing the praises of the nanny – after all, they’re the one who has to spend the most time with them so it’s imperative that they are happy and well-adjusted to the nanny you hired.
- They go above and beyond – It takes a truly dedicated person to go above and beyond in terms of childcare. This could mean that they made sure to pick up the house before you got home, or that they took the dog for a walk while you were gone so that everyone got some fresh air, or that they baked you fresh cookies… Not everyone has the drive to go beyond what’s required in their job description, and those that do are gems to hold onto.
- You trust them – This is probably the most important of all and something that you can’t force, it just happens naturally over time with the right person. If you trust them wholly with your children, your house, etc. then you know you have found someone that you need to keep around for as long as possible.
- They’re respectful – You don’t want someone who is constantly going against your instructions or behind your back, or doing things like leaving a mess where there wasn’t one before. Receiving respect is just as important as giving it and it’s important to find someone who respects your parenting techniques and adheres to how you want to raise your kids and the rules that you set for taking care of your children.
- They communicate well and often – Your nanny should talk to you at the end of each day, letting you know where there were problems and giving praise when it’s deserved. Having someone who communicates to you regularly and honestly is the first step in establishing trust and respect, and shows that they’re a dedicated professional.
- Everyone raves about them – You know you’ve found a good fit for your family when everyone from friends to teachers talk about how great they are with your children and just in general. Leaving a good impression on everyone is important and a good indication that you’ve picked well.
- They fit into your family – Someone can be the best nanny in the world, but if they don’t fit into your family it won’t matter. You’ll know almost immediately if they fit in or not, and if they do then hold onto them! Your nanny should get along with not only your kids, but you and your spouse as well.
- Your kids learn from them – Finding someone that’s willing to put in the time and effort to help your kids learn new things – whether it’s mastering reading or drawing pictures or tying their shoes – is important so that your child continues to develop and grow. They’re going to be spending a lot of time with the nanny, so they should be learning new things during that time.
- They always have inventive solutions to problems – No child is going to be happy all the time, and if your nanny is constantly finding new ways to counteract bad moods and temper tantrums you know you have a winner. Having a nanny that is willing to put in the time and effort to continually come up with creative solutions to problems that arrive is an amazing blessing.
- They’re punctual and reliable – You don’t want to continue to employ a nanny who is constantly arriving late or not showing up at all for work. It’s important to find one who takes their job seriously and is punctual and reliable, because otherwise you’ll be scrambling around at the last minute trying to find a replacement so that you can still go to work.
You may not find the perfect nanny right away, but when you do you’ll know right away and you should do everything in your power to hang onto them for as long as possible!